Beekeeping 101: A 10 Step Guide to Becoming a Beekeeper
What you'll learn
- The reasons to become a beekeeper and what it takes.
- Basic honey bee biology and life cycle
- The cost of becoming a beekeeper, what equipment is needed and what is NOT needed to get started.
- Options for how to purchase (or catch) your first colony of honey bees.
- How to find/choose a location for your hive even if you don't have land and can't keep them in your backyard.
- How to set up your first bee hive.
- How to add bees to your hive.
- How to perform a hive inspection.
- How to keep your bees happy and healthy.
- What swarming is, signs of swarming and how to prevent it.
- How to extract and bottle your own backyard honey.
- Resources to help you continue learning about beekeeping.
- BONUS: How to catch FREE BEES (swarm trapping).
- Have an interest in becoming a beekeeper.
- Have a willingness to continue learning and an active curiosity.
Beekeeping is an amazing hobby, but you must learn the foundations of beekeeping in order to be successful. This course is for anyone looking to become a beekeeper and wants a step-by-step guide to take them from buying equipment and bees to extracting their first honey harvest and everything in between. This course is focused on teaching you the foundations of beekeeping in a direct and clear manner without overwhelming you with details that go beyond what you need to know and learn to get started. For those science-loving students who do want to dive deeper into the details of certain topics optional "Extended Learning" opportunities are provided throughout the course.
By the end of this course you will...
Have the knowledge to start your first colony INSTEAD of fearing you will kill your bees.
Have the confidence needed to safely care for your bees INSTEAD of fearing being stung.
Have the guidance needed to become a successful beekeeper INSTEAD of being overwhelmed with how to begin and what to do.
Save and make money with your beekeeping INSTEAD of falling into the many expensive mistakes most NewBees make.
Feel prepared to start beekeeping this spring INSTEAD of feeling overwhelmed and putting it off ANOTHER year.
Have pride in your bees and being able to share the sweet reward from your very own honey harvest INSTEAD of purchasing lesser quality honey from the store.
Protect, enjoy, and benefit from these amazing creatures INSTEAD of wondering what can be done to help the honey bee.
What our students are saying:
"I liked the clear explanations and things being shown in a detailed way."
- Karyn, NewBee University Student, Colorado"
"It was simple and straight forward using language and terms simple to understand and broke beekeeping down to make it really understandable. I am now more excited than ever to get started and feel like I am prepared!"
- Christa, NewBee University Student, Georgia
"Great info! On point without the confusion. Thank you!
- Nicki, NewBee University Student, Australia
"This course was straightforward, easy to follow, while still being extremely helpful by outlining the trickier details of beekeeping. This course consistently gave you pros and cons and in certain cases recommended one of the options, which makes it much easier to move forward. I loved the pacing and how the information was laid out. Thank you!"
- Ellie, NewBee University Student, New York
"I liked that I could do it at my pace, my schedule, and rewind or re-watch lectures."
- Alex, NewBee University Student, Alabama
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who is interested in learning how to become a beekeeper
My name is Matthew Doucette, founder of NewBee University. I have a Master's in Education, but more importantly a love of honey bees and a passion for sharing that love with others. I am pleased to be able to have the opportunity to bring new students into the wonderful world of beekeeping and helping them build the foundation to making this a long-term hobby. I look forward to working with you and helping you start your first hive!