Beginner Photography Workshop
What you'll learn
- Use your Digital SLR, or high-end Digital Camera, to take amazing photographs.
- Learn all about the Dial on top of your camera.
- Understand what the Aperture is and how to use it.
- Understand what the Shutter is and how to use it.
- Change your Shutter Speed, your Aperture, or your ISO.
- Use Shutter Priority Mode to stop action.
- Use Aperture techniques for dramatic portraits or nature shots.
- Learn why and how to adjust ISO.
- Understand -both- Auto modes.
- How to hold your camera steady.
- Understand the difference between Wide Angle and Telephoto lenses.
- "See" light, and use light to your advantage.
- Compose better pictures and understand basic composition tricks.
- Use flash or reflectors to fill shadows.
- You have a Digital SLR with interchangeable lenses or a fixed zoom lens. Perfect for Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Sony, or other digital cameras with a dial on top that lets you control different camera modes.
- If you have a Point-and-Shoot camera that only has Auto mode, and you are unable to set the Shutter or Aperture yourself, this course may not be for you.
Master that dial on top of your camera and use Shutter Priority and Aperture Priority modes for amazing photography techniques. This is the perfect course if you own a digital SLR (DSLR), Mirrorless camera, or any digital camera with with a control dial on top. Learn not only why there are 2 Auto modes on almost all digital cameras, but why, when, and how to go beyond Auto mode! Stop-action, motion-blur, soft-focus backgrounds, and sharp depth-of-focus, are all covered in simple to understand lessons. Light, composition, proper camera and posing techniques, are all covered with examples and practice files.
You will also learn
- how to "see" light
- how to make great compositions
- how to control focus
- how to take creative pictures of people and landscapes
- how to stop - or blur - action and movement
- how to lighten up shadows
- how, and when, to control ISO
- and lots more
Whether you own a Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, Sony, Panasonic, or other brand camera, if you have manual controls you will be able to use these lessons to master your camera's controls. Adults learn by doing - so put down that thick manual, grab your camera, and in an hour you will understand the dials and controls that are key to taking great photographs.
What some of my workshop students have said about my Beginner Photography Workshops:
"I enjoyed Steve's style, and he presented the information in a way that is easy to understand."
"Steve explained how the camera works, why I was doing what I was doing, how to change the modes, f-stops, etc. And what the result of the picture would be. When I left the workshop I was EXCITED to use my camera! I tried all of my newly learned techniques at home. I learned so much that day, and I was hungry for more!!!!!"
"Steve explained things at a level I understood, using terminology I understood. And even more important, I was able to practice what was taught and see the results. If the results were not what I expected, Steve was available to explain what changes should be made to get the better shot."
"Steve is very knowledgeable about the subject matter and easily imparts that knowledge to students. He spends time explaining even the most basic concepts (like how do I pop the flash!). I had just gotten my camera and had no idea how to use it. I took some pretty great pictures after the workshop!"
Who this course is for:
- This is a beginner course that builds your knowledge from the ground up. You don't need any prior knowledge of Shutter and Aperture - I explain and demonstrate both thoroughly.
- Perfect for the new Digital SLR owner, and those who's camera is sitting on a shelf because you don't know how to get off of Auto mode.
Steve has been teaching photography for over 25 years, drawing on his professional background as a widely published advertising and corporate photographer. Author of 2 books on photography and Adobe Photoshop, Steve loves demystifying the art of photography for enthusiastic students. Steve is a Certified Technical Trainer, and has won a Videographer Award for video-based training. When not teaching Steve can be found photographing the coastline of New Jersey.
Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI, ACE, CompTIA CTT+)
Produced Photoshop's "Photographic Toning" presets
Author, Cengage Learning, "Irreverent Photo Tools for Digital Photographers"
Author, Cengage Learning, "Adobe Photoshop & the Art of Photography"