Welcome to How to Become a Workplace Coach: The Fundamentals - the course is designed to help you to understand the basics of coaching and have access to practical coaching tools that you can immediately apply in your operational role.
The programme is divided into short video’s:
We’ll start by looking at the Definitions of coaching. We’ll look at some of the concepts of coaching and how coaching differs from training, counselling and mentoring.
We’ll then look at Management coaching and learn how coaching is applied by managers in the workplace.
We’ll look at the Psychology of coaching and why coaching has such a motivational impact on colleagues.
Then we’ll consider how to break negative belief cycles. How to overcome negative thoughts and create positive behaviours and attitudes.
Ultimately, we want to raise awareness and responsibility in our colleagues so that they become engaged, empowered and embrace accountability.
We will then look at the Core skills of coaching and the practical models available to actual coach colleagues.
We will focus on the The OSCAR Coaching Model in particular and demonstrate OSCAR in practice in a 15 minute video sequence.
Finally, we will look at how coaching can be applied by busy managers in everyday situations and we will facilitate a self-coaching session for you.
Andrew is a qualified trainer, corporate coach and facilitator. He joined Worth Consulting as a co-director in 1998 and in 2002 he developed the internationally acclaimed OSCAR Coaching Model. In 2004 Worth won a National Training Award for their coaching and leadership programme centred around the OSCAR Coaching Model. Andrew draws on his international leadership and management experience to develop practical, everyday tools that can be used by managers at all levels to maximise their performance and development.
Recent assignments undertaken by Andrew include:
• Co-design and delivery of ILM Level 7 Executive Coaching and Leadership Mentoring programmes and ILM Level 5 Coaching and Mentoring in Management programmes for PSMW (Public Service Management Wales), Arla Foods and Intellectual Property Office.
• Design and delivery of a Leadership and Management Development and Executive Coaching Programme for British Airways Maintenance Cardiff from 1st level management right through to top-level executives.
• Design, development and delivery of the coaching training component of the Welsh Government highly acclaimed, in-house, “Leading to Care” development programme and provision of on-going support and coaching to the participants of that programme to help them achieve an ILM Level 3 Award in Coaching in the Workplace.
• Design and delivery of a Leadership Development Programme for Southeastern Trains Ltd from 1st level management right through to top-level executives. This project included ILM Certification at Levels 3 and 5. The programme was supported by 1:1 executive and senior management coaching to help embed the learning.
• Design and delivery of a Sustainable Performance Management Programme and a series of 2 day Performance Coaching programmes at Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council. The programme is supported by 360-degree feedback and 1:1 coaching to all management grades.
• Design and delivery of a Development Programme at Wales Audit Office focusing on effective coaching skills, facilitation skills and collaborative problem solving, including the design of a bespoke 360-degree feedback process and provision of 1:1 coaching.
• Design and delivery of a Management Development Programme for Claverham Ltd (United Technologies – Bristol) for 70 first level and middle managers. Due to the ‘noticeably’ improved skills and to enhance performance even further, the same programme was delivered to the board of directors with great success.
• Provision of executive coaching to a variety of clients including: British Airways Maintenance Cardiff, Barclays Asset Finance, Intellectual Property Office, Welsh Government, Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council and Arla Foods.
• Co-design and delivery of two and one day ‘Coaching for Managers’ training programmes, and ‘train the trainer’ package for Powys Teaching Health Board, Wales Audit Office, Caerphilly County Borough Council, Newport City Council, Monmouthshire County Council, Pensord, Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board, ABMU Health Board, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Services.
• Co-design and development of the training materials for the ILM Level 3 and 5 Coaching and Mentoring qualifications, including video of coaching on DVD.
I'm passionate about technology and entrepreneurship, and after spending 10 years working in the industry I'm looking to share what I've learned.
While there are thousands of fantastic tutorials teaching students how to write code, my content is focused on the soft skills surrounding the profession. I know how it feels to doubt your ability to land a programming role without a CS degree, or the challenges programmers face on a daily basis in the workplace. I also believe wholeheartedly that you can overcome all of this, no matter where your starting point is!