Start increasing your effectiveness and success now.
1. Results count. Effectiveness is measured by Results.
2. To stay focused or regain focus quickly is both a science and an art. In this course I teach the science. This will start you on the path to becoming brilliant at this science and art. You will learn enough to remain effective but not be overwhelmed with information.
3. Learn how to stay the distance. You will learn how to remain focused, motivated, optimistic, deal with adversity, be visionary and purposeful which will all help you stay the distance when pursuing your vision and goals. Staying the distance is crucial to reaching your goals and being effective.
4. Learn easy-to-use methods. You will learn a number of easy-to-use methods to set goals so that you will always maintain clarity about your direction, plan in such a way that you maximize your own and others' motivation, how to lead and manage with effectiveness and success in mind, maintain a more positive, hopeful and optimistic outlook, deal with adversity and obstacles in a way that energizes you, develop a vision and purpose consistent with these truths and on your terms.
5. I combined practical experience with science. For the past 20 years I have used these methods when dealing with a variety of business owners – from large multi-million dollar companies to small operators. These techniques help me to cut through the clutter and retain focus, especially when discussing a variety of complex issues.
6. Improve further even if already an effective owner, manager or leader. You will also be able to help you manage and teach others to become more effective. Refresh yourself by reinforcing what you already know by gut-feel.
A brief description of my credentials together with some more background information so that you can gain an insight into the person who is presenting this course. It is not not essential viewing but would be useful for those (like me) who are curious or even a bit sceptical.
This is a key lecture. It contains basic methods for goal setting. I use this with everything I do with my coaching clients.
Goal setting is often promoted as some sort of fix-everything solution, but that can be misleading. The determination, willpower and resilience required to sustain the effort to achieve a goal is equally, if not more, important. A goal without effort is a pipe-dream. This lecture teaches methods to set goals in such a way as to enhance your motivation to put the effort to achieve your goal.
This lecture teaches the basics of management and leadership as it related to being effective and producing results.
This lecture provides a scientific way to create optimism and maintain a positive outlook.
After this lecture you will be able to use a simple technique to deal with adversity, develop and energized approach and maintain your optimism.
This lecture helps you develop a realistic but challenging vision and purpose based on the principles taught in the previous lectures.
A simple example is used to demonstrate how all the methods could be used when planning a business.
Currently I provide strategic advisory and coaching services to business owners and managers, lecture in management and oversee a small business accounting service.
I have coached and consulted with small business owners for almost 20 years (from multi-million dollar companies to small owner-operated businesses). This includes providing managerial and leadership support, development, and coaching. This requires being their strategic partner, motivator and sounding board. The key services I provide are (1) intensive leadership and management coaching, and (2) a comprehensive and systematic personal and business development program supported with personal coaching.
I also lecture and supervise undergraduate and graduate students in management – for the last 10 years. Papers included Applied Management, Leadership, Marketing, Consumer Behavior, Organisational Behavior, and Human Resources.
I have started and currently oversee a small business accounting service – since 1997. Oversight and advice on completing GST returns and producing accounting reports.
Previously I was an Economist at South Africa's Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, focusing on Housing, Construction and Urban Development.
This included formulating, project managing, leading and undertaking research and development projects as well as specialist consulting and contract work for clients, in the field of economics, finance, housing policy, strategy. I also facilated and presented at seminars – national and international.
Notable activities include helping to facilitate workshops at the Southern African Construction Industry Initiative, in which 10 countries participated. I ended my career at CSIR by winning the tender to prepare South Africa's Country Report for the UN's Habitat agency. I facilitated 4 regional and national workshops of key building and construction industry stakeholders, and managed the compilation of the South African Country Report. This was presented at a UN meeting in Nairobi and finally in Istanbul.
In the more distant past I worked in HR (my first job after completing my degree).
Masters Degree in Business Leadership – Strategic Planning
Diploma in Datametrics – Operations Research
B. Admin degree – Industrial Psychology and Public Administration