Anatomy of a Cyber Attack: Beginner Hacking with Metasploit!
- 4 hours on-demand video
- 1 article
- 21 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to Udemy's top 3,000+ courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Understand the steps of a cyber attack
Understand the basic methodology, tools, and techniques used by hackers in exploiting networks and information systems
- PC or Mac with at least 4 GB of RAM in order to install the virtualization software used in this course
- Windows XP disc or disc image to setup a vulnerable machine for the labs
- Kali Linux disc image (free to download, instructions provided in the course)
- VirtualBox software (free to download, instructions provided in the course)
Updated with the EternalBlue & WannaCry Ransomware Exploit Labs against Windows 7/Server 2008 victims!
** Dissect the Threat! Understand the Importance of Cyber Security **
Your networks are facing a constant barrage of attacks by malicious actors: hackers, hacktivists, script kiddies, advanced persistent threats, and even nation states are all searching for footholds into networks around the globe. System administrators have always been the first line of defense in system security, and in this global cyber war your role has become increasingly important to the security our networks. As the lynchpin to network defense, it is imperative that system administrators understand the vulnerabilities and methodology employed by malicious cyber actors in order to assist in stopping cyber attacks.
In “The Anatomy of a Cyber Attack”, you will learn to dissect the techniques used by hackers in their exploitation of a network. From open-source research and reconnaissance to the exploitation and covering of their tracks, you will learn hands-on techniques to probe your network for vulnerabilities and understand how they are exploited. Taught by an expert in cybersecurity, you will learn to think like a hacker in order to thwart their future attacks on your networks.
A truly eye-opening experience into the world of cybersecurity, “The Anatomy of a Cyber Attack” is essential to understanding the landscape of today’s cyber threats.
What You Will Receive In The Course:
- Video lectures that are fun, entertaining, and enlightening
- Walkthrough of building your own penetration testing lab for use in the course
- Labs for every step of the hacker methodology
- You can watch the instructor to better understand the threat, or learn to conduct the attack yourself using Metasploit!
- Practice questions to ensure mastery of each section of the course
- A solid foundation upon which to conduct further study or certification preparation
- This course provides a great foundation upon which to build upon for Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) or penetration testing studies!
What This Course Is NOT:
- Certified Ethical Hacker preparation course
- IT Certification preparation course
- Designed to provide a mastery of penetration testing techniques (but will give you a great introduction)
What Students Are Saying About This Course:
- This is impressive, opened my eyes, and taught me skills necessary for my career. Thanks, Jason! Really good work! (Wayne, 5 stars)
- One of the best courses I have seen to integrate lecture with demo/labs. (Greg, 5 stars)
- Nice overview with practical examples. You get an introduction to the tools used so that can be used as a starting point to learn more. (Seppo, 5 stars)
This course is designed for all IT personnel and provides a great overview of the need for cybersecurity through hands-on examples of network and system exploitation. Even beginners will be able to understand the concepts and enjoy the course, but may have some difficult in conducting the attacks themselves. A basic understanding of computers and computer networks is required to understand this course.
- Students who are interested in the cyber threat that exists in today's culture
- Students interested in learning how hackers are able to attack networks and information systems
- Students looking for a beginner/overview course for penetration testing and hacking
- Students wanting an easy to understand course on using Metasploit to conduct penetration testing
In this video, you will be introduced to your instructor, Jason Dion. We will discuss a quick overview of the course and the importance of cybersecurity in today's malicious cyber environment.
In this video, you will learn how to download and install VirtualBox in order to create a penetration testing lab. Also, you will understand why it is important to create our penetration testing lab in a safe, secluded virtual environment to ensure we don't run into trouble with the law.
A discussion of the importance of Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability in cyber security, and the tradeoff between operations and security, allowing a hacker to breach your networks and systems.
A look into the various types of hackers, crackers, and attackers in the hacking world, as well as the various tools and techniques that they utilize to accomplish their specific goals.
A discussion of the Six Step Hacker's Methodology that will form the basis for our attacks throughout this course: (1) Performing Reconnaissance (2) Scanning and Enumeration (3) Gaining Access (4) Escalation of Privilege (5) Maintaining Access (6) Covering Tracks and Placing Backdoors.
This lecture provides a discussion of Ethical Hackers and how they have modified the Hacker's Methodology for their use in penetration testing. The discussion also provides the details of what to include in your "get out of jail free" letter as an ethical hacker.
This is a lengthy discussion of the Reconnaissance Phase, including the tool that are utilized during this phase of the cyber attack. This includes Creepy, Discover, Maltego, Central Ops, and more!
In this hands-on lab video, students will learn the how to use Creepy, an open-source, cross-platform Geolocation tool to create a "pattern of life" on a victim location or person. During this lab, students will be provided with a sample Twitter user (TitanCipher) to work against in their reconnaissance.
In this hands-on lab video, students will learn the how to perform OSINT (Open-Source Intelligence) using CentralOps, a web-based service that allows us to collect lots of information on our victim organization and networks. During this lab, students will explore the information found through this tool and how it relates to performing reconnaissance to aid in a future cyber attack.
This video lecture introduces students to the importance of the Scanning and Enumeration Phase, as well as the tool Zenmap that we use to perform our scans. Also, this video shows students how to configure their virtual network properly in order to conduct the rest of the labs during this course.
In this video lecture, students are shown just how easy it is to break into a Windows machine when you have done your Reconnaissance and Scanning/Enumeration Phases properly. Using the MS08-067 vulnerability, we will exploit a Windows workstation, gain system level rights, and prove that the attack was successful by leaving evidence of our successful penetration to a different user's desktop!
In this video lecture, students are introduced to Meterpreter and the powerful shell environment it provides us when we attack a system. Our target system for this exploitation will again be our Windows workstation, showing students the difference between the previous attack using the Reverse Shell and the new Meterpreter Shell inside Metasploit.
In this lecture, you will learn more about the methods used to cover your tracks maintain access once you have gotten onto a victim system. This includes modifying and deleting log entries, hiding files and folders, installing backdoors, opening firewall ports, setting up callbacks from the victim machine, and more.
In this video, you receive a very broad overview of the course in a fun, visually appealing promotional "course teaser" video. This is the same video students watched prior to enrolling in the course. If you enjoyed the course, please download the video and share with your friends!