The Art of Seeing Photography training for the Artist in you
- 1 hour on-demand video
- 12 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to Udemy's top 3,000+ courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Each episode contains 45 minutes of lecture, an shooting assignment to practice the new concept, and a downloadable set of images from the lecture so you can build a personal library of resources.
You will learn how to spot light like an artist.
Step by step guide to seeing a photograph before it happens, so you don't miss the decisive moment.
- An introduction into composition beyond the Rule of Thirds and leading lines.
- Each episode will have tips for training the sensitivity of your eyes and how to use your camera to capture incredible images that you simply were not seeing before.
- After the first episode you will begin to see things you had not noticed before and know how to bring them into your images.
- Develop the skills to evaluate any photograph as a success or failure based on its design.
- By the end of this course you will have a new found appreciation for master artists and never run out of material for your own projects.
- A camera (any kind will do, from iPhone to Medium Format) trust me, it does not matter.
- A notebook, we cover a lot of material. Its easier to write down your thoughts as you go along.
- A desire and passion to dive head first into photography.
- The curiosity to understand what separates a good image from a great image.
Why can we spot a great photo but find it difficult to capture one?
Why do we over complicate a process that can be summed up with a push of button? The key to taking a good photo isn't the subject matter, it's not in the type of equipment you use or the location setup for the shot. The key to taking a good photo is the discovering your personal point of view and identifying the 'thing' that hides in plain sight; this is the 'artist eye'. A Room for Improvement will teach you how to see like an artist and further your exploration into the art form of photography.
To shoot a world-class photo, your eyes must be familiar with the elements that make a photo world-class. Great musicians can hear the rhythm in everyday life. Great writers know that everyone has a story to tell. Great photos are happening all around you, and you're missing them because you haven't trained your eye.
I've spent the last 20 years working in photography, painting, sculpting and architecture - having a multidisciplinary approach allows for better photo taking. The more curious you are, the more things you learn and experience, the better the eye becomes. You have experiences that will aid you in your artistic journey with this program.
Using my work as reference we will discuss vision, approach, tools and techniques of photography. I will teach you how to take great pictures with any camera, from your cell phone to your Leica. Armed with a camera, a pen, a pad, and your desire to improve – I will transform your photography by changing the way you see the world around you.
- This course is divided into 5 Lectures that are a Master Class in Learning to See like an Artist.
- Lecture 1: How we see. Understanding how artists see differently.
- Lecture 2: Borrow success from famous artists.
- Lecture 3: Three techniques for spotting flaws.
- Lecture 4: A critical technique for finding light.
- Lecture 5: Why pictures succeed or fail and the assignment.
- The lectures are designed to be watched in order, but you are free to skip around.
- Each course is made up of a set of lectures (about 45min long), with downloadable images from the lecture, and an final assignment designed to highlight the tools from each lecture.
By the end of this program, you will understand why photographers always say that "the equipment doesn't matter." Learning to see like an artist is one of the single most fulfilling steps on the way to becoming a better photographer. In addition to improving your own work, you will be able to walk into any gallery or museum in the world and know, with full certainty, whether you are looking at a great piece of art or not.
- Photographers who want to see like artists, from beginners to intermediate.
- This course will apply to Street Photography, Portraiture, Landscape, and Still Life photography.
- No previous education in art or photography is needed.
While most photography courses teach post production, "The Art of Seeing" will train you what to look for BEFORE you take a picture. The program will allow you to anticipate shots, know when you are in the presence of a photograph, and see why getting the image right in the camera makes all the difference in the world.
In Part I, we will look at how artists are trained for success and why they have created some of the most powerful images in history. As a photographer, you will see how you can apply these lessons to you own photography in easy to follow steps.
In Part II, learn from lessons of design from master artists like Leonardo DaVinci who built a step by step process to creating paintings through systematic study of his subject matter. We cover 3 techniques for seeing the successes or flaws in any image that painters developed so they could look at their own work with a critical eye.
In Part IV, you will be introduced to the fundamental concept of "Figure to Ground." It will explain, with absolute clarity why successful images work and why other images fail. This will completely transform how you look at your images and give you a language to articulate why you love your favorite images and why other images do not work. There is a description of the assignment to practice how to use "Figure to Ground" every time you press the shutter.